Thursday, January 24, 2008

Question...

So, I'm working on this project. It's called a mug mat. I'm making these for my guild's auction coming up in February. I have made three this morning.
But I'm thinking that I don't like the traditional binding. I can't seem to get the size right. What do you think of the satin stitch on the right? I use this when I make postcards.
I don't know. I know the traditional side of quilters will like the traditional bindings. Is it okay to break the "rules" when you just can't seem to get it right?

Hugs,
Melinda

9 comments:

Doodlebug Gail said...

Hi Melinda,

I made some Mug Rugs and enveloped them so I didn't have to do binding - they went a lot quicker that way. E-mail me if you want some help - okay?

Hugs
Gail

Tim and Marie said...

I like the satin stitch.

Sweet Woodruff said...

Why not break the rules? I like the satin stitch too.

I got a package from you but have been too sick to get online and thank you. I wish I had your phone number. You made me so happy.

Howdy said...

Those are cute mats! You did a really nice job on the satin stitch and yes you could easily go with that - but it's a lot of work and lots of thread.

If you did want to do the binding then I would suggest you use a bias binding - it has more stretch and it would lay a little smoother.

Lastly - I would certainly consider 'birthing' my little mats (might be the same thing Gail is suggesting) - then with a stitched line around the edge it would give it the look of binding without the all the extra work of satin stitch or real binding.

Judy L. said...

I like the satis stitch and I'm thinking that might even make the little mat sit flatter.

Sweet Woodruff said...

Hey. How do you make a postcard? Send me one. :) *grins* I want to make some.

Barb said...

Hi Melinda ~ Your mats mean YOUR RULES...it looks fine with the satin stitch! I am not one that feels that quilting/stitching rules must be set in cement! If they look good to you then they are good! Barb

Amber said...

Definitely the satin stitch!

Sweet Woodruff said...

You'll laugh when you see the reason why I can't use your tip right now.

Ohhhh...guess what? I will be in Kansas City on July 19th, probably a few days before and after. Doesn't that sound nice and hot? :) Yea!

Post a Comment

This blog has moved to mghollis.wordpress.com - Please visit us there.

Hugs,
Melinda

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.