In 1997, my aunt gave my mother a copy of "Spies, Black Ties, & Mango Pies." It's a cookbook of recipes from all over the world, but it includes stories from CIA families as well. Very few of them are actually given names. But they are absolutely interesting to read. For example, the story of the patriotic potatoes.
"Ahmed came to us fresh from his village in 1962. His English was sufficient, but he had a sponsor who described his ability as a cook as outstanding. It was our first tour and we were still gullible. We hired Ahmed. Outstanding was, to say the least, an overstatement. Nevertheless, Ahmed was a quick learner and after the initial month with its culinary trials and errors, we decided to keep him on. He was delighted and strove mightily to please us.
Ahmed realized his moment of greatest achievement when, on July 4th, he placed on the table a bowl of mashed potatoes -- in red, white, and blue stripes! How could we fault him? He beamed as we applauded his handiwork." (Spies, pg. 105)
The cookbook was released for the 50th anniversary of the CIA. It is so much fun. How about this recipe for Elephant Stew?
Elephant Stew
1 Elephant
1 1/2 gallons bottled hot pepper sauce
200 gallons brown gravy
30 rabbits
salt and pepper to taste
Cut elephant into bite-sized pieces; cover with gravy and cook over fire at 465* F for 4 weeks. This serves 3,800 people. If more are expected, add rabbits. However, this should be done only if necessary, as people don't like finding hare in their stew.
When I actually took the time to read this recipe, I cracked up. That's funny.
For today's post, I decided to make the "Best Ever Banana Bread" that is on page 103. I made two batches. One just as written, and one with cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and pecans. I debated adding chocolate chips, but I didn't this time. I may next time though. Okay, so here's the recipe.
Best Ever Banana Bread
(simple to make and easy to take along on a picnic)3 to 4 ripe medium bananas, broken in pieces
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup vegetable oil
Preheat oven to 350* F. Line a loaf pan with aluminum foil. In mixer or blender, mix together first 6 ingredients. Slowly add oil; mix well. Pour dough into foil-lined pan. Bake in preheated oven for about 1 hour 10 minutes, until golden brown, checking after 1 hour. Cool before slicing.
It's in the oven right now, and it smells DELICIOUS. I'll have to let you know how it tastes.
Hugs,
Melinda
[ETA - I took both loaves to our Bible study today. They were a hit. Everyone liked them. I only have a little bit left over for my breakfast in the morning.]
This post is part of my 31 Days of Random CIA facts. Find all the posts here.



No comments:
Post a Comment
This blog has moved to mghollis.wordpress.com - Please visit us there.
Hugs,
Melinda
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.