Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Come gather at my table (and a giveaway)

It has often been said that the kitchen is the heart of the home.  I know that is true in my house.  I love my kitchen, with it's bright yellow walls, and green counter tops.  I love making wonderful delicious meals for my family.  (Just don't expect Little Bit to agree with you.)  When you come to my house, I want you to feel like you belong, like you are welcome in my kitchen.

The community of Maubane, South Africa doesn't have a kitchen.  They don't have a stove like we know to cook on.  They cook over an open flame.

3Ci+Maubane009

3Ci+Maubane006

Sometimes it's a struggle coming up with a healthy, delicious meal for my family of 4.  I can't even begin to imagine trying to feed 400.  The community of Maubane is roughly 150 adults, and 250 children.

But I sure would love to hear them singing.

3Ci+Maubane056

Today is the kickoff for Phase 2 of the Maubane Community Center.  Guess what?  Phase 2 is to fund the kitchen, and we're almost funded halfway already!  

The kitchen is a beautiful place.

Today, in sync with the kick off, I am offering two paper pieced wall hangings that I made.  I think they are perfect for someone's kitchen.  The purple one has been hanging in mine for 5 years now.

 I originally made this green one for a dear friend.  I had asked her favorite colors, which were green and orange.  I gave it to her, and it hung in her kitchen for several years.  But then she had to move, and she didn't feel like it matched the new decor.  So she gave it back.  I took the orange binding off and added a new white binding.  I think it looks pretty smart!

Right after I made her green and orange hanging, I made myself this purple one, but I was able to add a strip of white at the top, to give my jars more space.

 The green jars have outlines to make them seem more "jar-like."

The purple one, however, had a few fun details.  At the top, I was able to write "Eat your Veggies!" and I labeled each of the jars.

 This one says peas.  It's at a slant.

And here is a close up of "Veggies!"  It's harder to write with a sewing machine than it looks.

I want to offer you a chance to win one of these two wall hangings.

You don't have to do anything to win, other than leave me a comment.

But if you are able to give just a little bit of yourself, just a little bit of your heart, then you can have another entry.  Can you consider it for this precious face?

3Ci+Maubane022

There is one more thing I would like to tell you about.


Krafty Kash Designs is offering 3 of her very unique necklaces: Love, Home, Mother.  $12 of each sale goes towards the community center.  That's 50% of each sale!  Being a crafter myself, I know a lot of work goes into each piece.  Mother's Day is coming up.  (So is my birthday. Shh!)  Please consider purchasing one of these necklaces for the mother, grandmother, friend in your life.

So here's the deal.  I'm going to try Rafflecopter.  I have NEVER used it before, other than to enter other giveaways.  Please be patient with me.  There are several options available.  I'm going to leave the contest open for 2 weeks.

I also want to encourage you to go to Lisa-Jo's website.  Even if you don't have anything to offer but prayers, she is an amazing writer, and I want you to be as encouraged by her as I have been.

Gather at my table.  Sit, have a cup of coffee.  Be a part of my kitchen, the heart of my home.

Hugs,
Melinda

[update: Apparently, Rafflecopter is too complicated for me to use.  If you want to be entered in the giveaway, please leave me a comment telling me what your favorite part of your kitchen is.  The giveaway will close on March 24.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog has moved to mghollis.wordpress.com - Please visit us there.

Hugs,
Melinda

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.