Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Unpacking 1 Peter 5:7-8

One of the things I am absolutely loving about the M2C Bible study is the fact that we are surrounding ourselves with scriptures.  I have several verses posted all over my kitchen. Everywhere you turn, you have to read a verse.  It has really helped cut down on the temptations that I have faced.

This is the pantry.

I was out of printer ink, so I opted for sticky notes for my fridge.  I can't wait to see what I get to add next week. 

This is the verse that has gotten me through the week.  I know I have only to rest in Jesus for peace.

On to mapping the verse out.  If you've never heard of this, I suggest you go here for a quick tutorial.  Basically, you look up what each word means.  It's more than that, but that's the gist of it.  This week's verse is 1 Peter 5:7-8.
Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.
First, I wrote the verse out in my planner.  Then I looked up all of the words, and wrote a short definition of them above the verse.  Oddly enough, they all sort of fit together.  Here's the "Melinda" translation.
Get rid of the entire extent of your worry and nervousness, with a continuity of persistence on Him, because he is concerned for you.  Occupy a position of conscious restraint and management and be perceptive.  The hostile opposing force, the armed adversary, makes predatory movements on all sides (this is a metaphor) like a loud lion searching visually for a human being to destroy completely.  
So not only am I to get rid of the ENTIRE worry, God is concerned for me.  I'm supposed to give it all to him because he cares for me.  I am to be conscious or aware.  And the adversary is looking for anyone to destroy.

I find it so comforting to know that I can give all my worry, all my nervousness, all my depression, all my anxiety to God.  It is very hard to do sometimes, but I'm still learning.

Today has been long.  It's been filled with stress (try being married to an IT guy and having computer problems), and frustrations.  (Teaching cursive to a bouncy 8 year old anyone?)  It's been filled with a bit of anxiety.  And now I have to go and start dinner.  My hope, my prayer, is that you can take this verse, that I can take this verse, and give it all to God.

Hugs in Him,
Melinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog has moved to mghollis.wordpress.com - Please visit us there.

Hugs,
Melinda

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.