Sunday, September 09, 2007

Emotional Quilt

This is the story of my "Emotional" quilt. The full name of the quilt is "Out of whack emotions," but I usually just say the "emotion" quilt.

When my mom first got sick, I went into my sewing room. I wanted to sew but I didn't know what. I was mad that my mom couldn't sew anymore (even though she thought she could up until the end).

I sat in my chair and said, okay I want to quilt, but what do I want to quilt? I saw black with slashes of color in it. And I thought, I should just draw what I want to quilt, then quilt it!

So I made myself a pattern, a friend sent me some black fabric she had, and off I went.

But it didn't come out like I thought it would; it was ... out of whack. I didn't care, because it was mine. I've added all sorts of trims and different things to it, and I add to it still.

I've even got an idea for a new addition.

This is the whole quilt.


Red is my "angry" color. One person told me she thought it was ironic that I had a smiley face button right next to my anger.

More anger?

The purple fur is my playful side. The silver stars were a gift from a friend. The orange is confusion over my mother's illness. The hole is from when a friend committed suicide, and I edged it in what I thought was a very ugly color.

My idea for an addition is to add some of the ribbon that I've been putting on Sweet Pea's shorts lately. It's fun, it's responsibility, it's frugality.... it's everything I've been lately. And it will be the first thing I've done since my mom died.

Hugs, Melinda

2 comments:

Amber said...

I think this quilt is turning out beautifully. I'm glad you've been working on it again. Mom would love how "wacked out" it is!

Gizmo said...

The emotions might be "out of whack", but that's a very balanced piece. Good for you to pick it back up again.

Post a Comment

This blog has moved to mghollis.wordpress.com - Please visit us there.

Hugs,
Melinda

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.