Friday, February 15, 2013

What is nutrition?

What is food?  What is the basics of good nutrition?  This is the question I've been asking myself for awhile.  I want to be able to answer this question well, because I want to be able to teach myself and my children.  I want to change my bad habits and change my family's lifestyle as well.

So what do you want to do when you need to know the answer to something?  You look it up!  Anytime I asked my parents about something, that was their answer.  "Look it up."  As a result, I developed a life long love of learning, and curiosity.

Back on track.  We went to the library on Wednesday, and I got a WHOLE bunch of books on nutrition.

First, because they are easy to understand, from the children's section:
Healthy Snack and Fast-Food Choices by Mary Turck
The Food Pyramid by Janine Scott
Food for Feeling Healthy by Carol Ballard
Why Shouldn't I Eat Junk Food?  by Kate Knighton (also an Usborne book)
Why Must I Eat Healthy Food? by Jackie Gaff

Then from the adult section:
Nutrition & Health in the Bible: The Smart Guide to the Bible Series by Kathleen O'Bannon
Retrain Your Brain, Reshape Your Body: The Breakthrough Brain-Changing Weight-Loss Plan by Georgia D. Andrianopoulos
Fries, Thighs, and Lies: The Girlfriends Guide to Getting the Skinny on Fat by Deborah Arneson
"But I deserve this chocolate!"  The 50 Most Common Diet-Derailing Excuses and How To Outwit Them by Susan Albers

And just for kicks:
Cooking for Geeks: Real Science, Great Hacks, and Good Food by Jeff Potter

I haven't taken the opportunity to look through them yet, but when I do, I will be sure to let you know what I discover.

Hugs,
Melinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog has moved to mghollis.wordpress.com - Please visit us there.

Hugs,
Melinda

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.