My dad started a business called Gardner Photo Graphix. It's basically a website that displays his photos which you can order on notecards or order prints of. It was a way for him to have a little bit of extra income while "not working" on disability.
I've helped get the website in order, but we've been having trouble with the store part of it for over a year. So while I was visiting my dad in April, I asked him for his supplies and volunteered to try selling at the Farmer's Market in town.
I've been working at the Farmer's Market every weekend for the past month and a half. I'm tired and hot and sunburned. I may have made as much as $100, but I'm not certain about that. (I should keep better records.) In the process, I've learned a bunch of things.
It really is about exposure. In the beginning I thought that I had such a unique product, that I would show up, and everyone would buy lots and lots of notecards, and I would only have to go a couple of times. But it's not. You really do have to be there week after week. Today, I had my first repeat customer. :D
Second, you really do need a canopy or gazebo or some sort of shelter. It gets hot and bright out there. I'm very pink today. One of the older gentlemen bought a "gently used" canopy and decided to sell me his old one. It's a bit worn, but it was probably a $75-80 canopy and he sold it to me for $40. Considerably a lot better than the $100 one I saw at Wal-Mart this morning (at 4:45 a.m.).
Third, you really can't do this to make a whole lot of money. For me, it's all about the fun. It's a hobby. I get to see lots and lots of people. I get to take lots of pictures. I get out of the house by myself for awhile. But I'm not making money. I make enough to cover the booth rental each week and not a whole lot more.
Well, I'm going to go now. I've been up since 4:00 this morning, and I'm tired. I'll have to figure out what I'm going to post next. I don't suppose I can get 500 posts by November 13, but it might be fun to try. November 13 is my 5 year blog anniversary.
But for now.... Goodnight.
Hugs,
Melinda
No comments:
Post a Comment
This blog has moved to mghollis.wordpress.com - Please visit us there.
Hugs,
Melinda
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.