Monday, March 30, 2009

Twilight, Stephenie Meyer, and reading.....

Did you know I'm a bibliophile? Don't worry, that just means someone who loves to read books. I get really bored really fast if I'm not reading SOMETHING.

I had sort of heard about this phenomenon called "Twilight," but I didn't really know what it was all about. I've been off in my own little world for a while, what with my mom being sick and moving and buying a house and all of that. But I knew it was a book that a lot of teenagers are reading.

My friend was telling me that her 12 year old son wanted to read the book, but she wasn't sure she should let him since it was about vampires. I said, "Well, why don't you let ME read it first, and I'll tell you if it's appropriate for him or not."

OH MY WORD. Wow. By the time I had finished the first book, I was hooked. I devoured these books rather quickly. They are very easy to read, and I found myself stepping into the heroine's shoes. I found it believable. I don't know how, because it's vampires, and we all know vampires aren't real..... right?

I even bought the movie so I could watch it on my iPod. It's a wonderful thing to watch/listen to when I'm sewing. Or have insomnia. Or just to immerse myself in fantasy for a while.

The reason I'm telling you this is because this weekend, well, yesterday, actually, I spent most of the afternoon reading through Mrs. Meyer's website. On it, she has posted a partial draft of another book called Midnight Sun. Twilight is written from the heroine's point of view. Midnight Sun is written from the hero's point of view. Midnight Sun is not finished, and may never be finished.

Someone leaked a copy of it to the internet, which in a way, is stealing. Mrs. Meyer is understandably upset about this. I would be too. She posted it on her website so her fans wouldn't look for it elsewhere and give the person who leaked it that validation.

I am writing today, because I have something to say to Stephenie Meyer, and no way to contact her. I understand she googles her own name, so maybe my post will show up someday, somehow.

An Open Letter To Stephenie Meyer, author of the Twilight Series.

Dear Mrs. Meyer,

I am writing to you today because you have written an awesome set of books. I am amazed at how well you allowed me to slip into your world, your dream. I want to thank you for allowing me to share that fantasy with you. I haven't been that carried away since I read Susan Kay's "Phantom."

I also want to thank you for reminding me that I can do anything regardless of age. It is inspiring to me that you are only 2 years older than me (if I've done my math correctly) and also have to work with children in your house. It has become very easy for me to be apathetic and lethargic in my day to day routine. You've inspired me to set goals for myself again.

I have read most of your website, including how you let your characters tell you about themselves. I find that utterly fascinating, because that's how I got my actors to develop their characters when I was directing in school.

I wanted to write to you and tell you not to give up on Midnight Sun. I understand the hurt and betrayal you must have felt. I understand your frustration at having your work posted on the internet before you were ready. But please don't give up on your story. As someone who loves character development, Midnight Sun is an utterly fantastic read. It might not be ready now. It might not be ready next year, but please, don't give up on it.

I want you to know that there will always be critics out there who don't like what you've written. Don't write for them. Write for you, and then, if you would be so kind, please share it with us, your fans.

Thank you again for the world that is Twilight.

Sincerely,
Melinda Hollis

3 comments:

jodi said...

I found Twilight a year or so ago and I have to agree. It is amazing!!! She has made the unbelievable believable. My 12 year old daughter has dyslexia, but she worked very hard to read this book and is now busy with book 2. I love to read and am so excited that there is a series out there that is drawing kids back into reading.

Sarah Eliza @ devastateboredom said...

I *loved* Twilight... I was all primed to read the second one, and then found out that there's a love triangle with Jacob and felt kind of betrayed... is it still good though?? I've been meaning to give it a try, but just haven't gotten around to it after losing that initial enthusiasm...

I saw your comment on RIMD about Lost, and since I was actually commenting myself about the statue/what's under it, I just had to come say hi... you should check out my post and let me know what you think of this idea!

Looking forward to clicking around your blog! :)

S. Bird said...

Hey Melinda. I can certainly relate to your Twilight experience. After my English students introduced me to the series last fall, I wrote my own 500 p YA novel! I've just finished it, so now I'm on the agent/publisher hunt. I needed a gentle reminder that myth is a good hook to hang a modern story on, and the characters introduced themselves and off we went on our adventure...

Good news is that last summer Stephenie announced that she will finish Midnight Sun after the letter campaign from fans who love it as much (or more, like me) than Twilight.

Feel free to pop by and visit my Twilight page:
http://www.fc.sd83.bc.ca/~sbird/00314E41-011F5300

Post a Comment

This blog has moved to mghollis.wordpress.com - Please visit us there.

Hugs,
Melinda

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.