This post is part of Five Minute Fridays hosted by the gracious Kate. A party of bloggers across the internet that gathers to write for five minutes on a one word prompt, no editing, no backtracking. Then you go back and link up and leave comments. Comments are fun.
Today's word is Visit.
GO:
Visiting. It's becoming harder and harder to visit. The daddy that I grew up with is not the daddy I know now. I often wonder how much he remembers of these visits.
The traveling can sometimes be a pain. I hate driving by myself, but we get along okay with a good audiobook or two. And I can drive for a whole 12 hours now. Not the 8 I used to do.
But still I come. Lynn asks, and I come. I do have to be aware of commitments at home, but I'll come as much as I can.
It's my duty. My service. My contribution if you will.
Because it's so much MORE than a visit. It's caring and providing for the one who raised me. It's stories and hugs that I don't know how much longer they will last.
The visit can be hard, because he seems a little bit further away each time. One of these days, I will not be able to complete my visit, because he will be too far away for me to reach in this body.
But God provides. He comforts. He gives the strength I need. And one day soon, I won't visit Him.
I'll go home.
STOP
A little bit of information, so that all of this makes sense. I live in Kansas City. My daddy lives in Nashville. He has had approximately 11 strokes, and is now suffering from congestive heart failure and early onset dementia. He also had a kidney transplant in 2000. My stepmother is a CPA who works non-stop, but because Daddy is a high fall risk, she doesn't like to leave him alone. I come when I can to stay with him.
This visit, I brought my children.
Hugs,
Melinda
2 comments:
Apparently when you take off Google plus comments, you lose your comments section. I don't have the heart to look, but I think it is probably all of them. Including the three that were here before I did that. I'm thinking about moving this blog to WordPress soon. The End
So sorry about your Dad, Melinda. Thanks for sharing such a tender place of your heart at FMF.
Post a Comment
This blog has moved to mghollis.wordpress.com - Please visit us there.
Hugs,
Melinda
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.